Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fun In The Penalty Box

Well hey there. I'm Alix. I spend a lot of time writing at The Humming Giraffe . I'm a Canucks fan, but I'm looking forward to talking about other NHL goodness over here. Hopefully our rad super group takes over the internets. With a name like getting nifty in the clutch, I don't think it will be a problem.



The Vancouver Sun had an article about life in the penalty box recently. Alex Burrows and Kevin Bieksa talked about what they do when they're in the box. The article even mentions the awesome quote at the beginning of Slap Shot: "You go to da box for two minutes, ya know, by yourself ... you feel shame ... and then you get free." For your reading pleasure. I laughed at the Slap Shot quote like I always do, and then I started thinking about what different players would do while in the sin bin.



Guys like Todd Bertuzzi spend the two minutes checking out the women in the crowd. I think Bert probably misses all of the fake breasts he saw in the crowd in Florida.



Sean Avery totally mentally plans out his wardrobe for the next week. Prada high tops or Chanel vest? Ya know. Will his black nail polish go with his Gucci shirt?



Dion Phaneuf grunts for the first minute, calls himself a MONSTER! for thirty seconds, and then briefly ponders whether he got herpes from Elisha Cuthbert or someone else right before he steps out of the box.



Kyle Wellwood (although he never actually takes penalties) would drool over all the food he spotted in the crowd, and spend the time writing scenes in his head for his great Canadian novel.



Nik Lidstrom figures out his economic plan for when he becomes leader of Sweden, and then mentally inventories his antique glass bottle collection.

What do you think your favourite player does while in the box?

14 comments:

eyebleaf said...

You're bang on about Lidstrom. He def. has an antique glass bottles collection.

I think when Tomas Kaberle is in the box, and it's rare, he thinks about improving his cross ice passes. He makes them like you won't believe.

wrap around curl said...

Mike Comrie sits there and decides what to buy Hilary Duff. A new set of sparkle pens or a puppy.

Vern said...

Christian Backman sits there and still can't believe he's actually in the league.

alix said...

eyebleaf, I don't watch Tomas Kaberle nearly enough.

wrap, that's TOTALLY what Comrie does.

Jaredoflondon said...

Ian White thinks about his mustasche.

eyebleaf said...

Alix, Kabby is a doll. I love him in the most non-homosexual way possible.

I hope you've seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eni3tZdeaKg

Anne said...

Dan Paille sits there hoping that getting a penalty doesn't mean Lindy isn't going to take him out for ice cream after the game.

alix said...

eyebleaf, I hadn't seen that! Hilarious! And Kabby's so cute. Youtube songs about players never get old. I still constantly catch myself singing "LA LA LUONGO"

HA HA HA! @ vern and jaredoflondon

anne, that's SO adorable!

Sarah said...

nah Bert isn't chcking out the girlies, he does his "wronged man" act - I've watched him do this so many times, he skates over to the box all wide eyed and surprised with this whole "who, ME ref?" look on his face, and then sits in the box shaking his head looking rather sweetly bewildered :)

still got a big soft spot for ol' Todders, me :)

ummm - let me think - George Parros sits and wonders why nobody has called him up yet for a lead part in Boogie Nights 2

new blog looking cool Alix and pals

eyebleaf said...

@ Alix: that Kabby song is my ringtone...

Loser Domi said...

Matt Stajan admires the reflections of his eyes in his visor

Lori said...

Sidney Crosby "Oh fudge. I hope coach isn't too angry. I need to make sure to control my temper when people aren't being the nicest ever."

I heart this post and this blog. I also want to apologize for being MIA.

wrap around curl said...

Domi; Stajan has pretty lashes.

Loser Domi said...

Wrap, Stajan has pretty lots of things...

when Veas Toskala is benched, he mentally rearranges the contents of his closest and his manpurse(s) of infinite holding